I-15 Southbound Project
Beginning in Spring 2018, the Utah Department of Transportation began work to add a southbound lane to I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South and expand 7200 South, west of the freeway.
- In February, UDOT completed the remaining portion of the new southbound lane on I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South. The opening of this new lane has reduced delays on southbound I-15 during peak travel times and significantly improved traffic flow for Utah motorists. In an effort to allow for safer, more efficient merging, UDOT also made improvements to two existing freeway connections at the I-15/I-215 south interchange.
- With the addition of the new southbound lane and the modifications at the interchange, travel times for Utah motorists have decreased as much as 65% during peak travel times, saving motorists between 20 and 25 minutes during the evening commute.
New Construction Activities
Last Updated: Friday, April 3, 2020
- With the nature of work shifting on this project from I-15 Southbound to 7200 South, email updates will be sent periodically as construction activities and traffic impacts occur.
- Contact the project team with any questions or concerns at I15southbound@utah.gov or 801-885-6096.
- Click on “See the Weekly Updates” below for the most recent information
When the new southbound lane opened on I-15 earlier this month, a new traffic configuration was put in place at the I-215 interchange and the 7200 South off-ramp. Please remember to allow room and time for traffic to merge onto and off of I-15 as everyone adjusts to the new traffic pattern.
Drivers in the area are advised to use caution in the construction zone and observe all posted signage.
To improve traffic flow and reduce congestion, UDOT is adding a southbound lane to I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South and expanding 7200 South, west of the freeway. The I-15 Southbound project will use $180 million dollars in state funds, which accounts for the environmental study, design and construction. Work will include:
- Adding a lane to southbound I-15 between S.R. 201 and 12300 South in Salt Lake County.
- Widening 7200 South to three lanes in each direction from I-15 to Bingham Junction Boulevard in Midvale.
- Modifying the I-15 interchange at I-215 to improve traffic flow.